Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yea for Me Day!

That is what I facetiously call Veteran's Day. I always say it is my one day each year where I say "good for me." It means an awful lot this year, as I have now been home from OIF for all of 48 hours.
One reason I was glad to get back before today was that my children's school does a Veteran's Day assembly, and the kids can have us drop by classrooms and answer questions afterwards. I was joined by two gentlemen from earlier conflicts:

The kids questions ranged from slightly goofy to fairly well asked. I was glad to be able to do my part in answering them.

On a more serious note, I think I now rank somewhere in the middle of the family military pantheon. None of us comes close to Jack Devore Dunn, an astonishingly heroic flyer in WWII. And, of course, I still have my favorite veteran to thank:

Thanks, Dad!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home. And if yer ever near Savannah, we can have the NA beer that our rotation dates denied us in the sandbox.

Or we can have a real one. ;)

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Major! ...and thanks!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa in DC said...

Welcome home! I've really appreciated your posts and extend my thanks for your service as well.

And how totally fantastic that you were home in time for the school event - those are special for everyone involved and create memories that last.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:54 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Jack Dunn's only targets were the Japanese Imperial Navy - if you have a problem with that, go elsewhere and kvetch.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back MAJ(P) John! Glad you made it back safe and sound in time for Veteran's Day. Send me an e-mail with your civilian e-mail address when you get a chance.

9:57 AM  
Blogger eMOM said...

We've kicked off our 7th Annual Holiday Mail to our Troops project. Hope to see you there and participating.

The eMail Our Military Website: eMail Our Military

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?