Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"Uncle Jack"

That is how I knew Jack Dunn. I missed his funeral because I was deployed for Katrina relief. A man that was a winner of the DSC and DFC - and he made sure he wrote me supportive letters and cards when I was deployed to Bosnia and Afghanistan. My whole extended family is full of people like this, and they sure give you plenty examples to follow. So many men and women of my family have come from the plains of Iowa to be soldiers (or sailors, right Dad?) scholars, teachers, doctors...I have a B.A., M.A. and a J.D., I have served abroad peacekeeping in Bosnia, and in wartime in Afghanistan - and I have only just earned a seat at the table. So long Uncle Jack, we won't forget you or what you did.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mighty Quinn said...

I'm sorry to hear of the loss, Major John. You have a lot to be proud of and I'm sure he was VERY proud of you.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

One thing I realized in Afghanistan is that death is FINAL. Any wargames, movies and such have lost a lot of flavor since then.

Yesterday my youngest said something about killing someone (she's 4 and parrots lots of stuff without thinking yet) and I told her very simply that that isn't something we play with. I think she got the hint with no more said.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

Also my condolences as well.

3:28 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

So sorry for your loss Major John.

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?