Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Father of His Nation

Mohammad Zahir Shah is seen in this July 16, 1963 file photo. (AP)


King Zahir Shah's funeral ended the era of the Last King of Afghanistan. He was fairly well thought of by almost every Afghan I ever asked.
Pushed out in a coup by his own relative, the excreable Prime Minister Doud - the King went into exile in Italy. He returned to Afghanistan and disavowed any restoration of the monarchy, simply accepting the honorific "Father of tthe Nation". At least he got to come home in the end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Inner Prop said...

I went to his "Summer Home" or so they told me.

It was VERY run down and small for royality. I'd estimate it was about 5K square feet.

Maybe it was just his Khost Provence Home.

It did have a very nice garden with a lot of trees though. It made Salerno (which apparently bore a resemblence to its namesake in Italy) look dry and dusty.

I wish I had taken photos of it.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?