Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lend a hand, wouldya?

I received a letter from my Legion Post (addressed to "Dear Desert Storm Era Veteran"... heh) that asks for some help. Our Service Officer had read an article in the Legion's magazine, and had a thought or two. While we now see an effort for wounded warriors - what about everyone else returning home? Invoking the return of WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam vets coming home to simply try and pick up their lives as best they could he mentions;

Many of our veterans from all these war eras would have had an easier time returning to their families and freinds and assimilating back into the civilian sector if they had been able to discuss their experiences with fellow veterans who had been there and done that.

And then tell us that our Post is going to set aside time every week for returning vets, from OEF and OIF, to have a place to go and someone to talk to.

At first I was a little bitter about this - first, "Dear Desert Storm Era Veteran"? I was in OJE in 1997 and OEF V (2004-2005) .... then I thought "I wish this had been around when I came home in 2005." Let us just say, my return home was a little problematic. But, I quit being bitter and decided I would help.

After all, we take care of our own, yes? Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. Etc.

Anyway, I will be at the Post, with the coffee pot on, and a box of doughnuts handy - and I will listen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From 1994 to 2000, I had the privilege of working at a state Veterans Home. It was a brand new facility with good amenities, caring staff. But, truthfully, the heart and soul of the Home were the volunteers from the VFW, DAV, Legion and their auxiliaries, plus local veterans representing other fratermal organizations. They staffed the canteen, decorated for holidays, hosted barbecues, picnics and other special meals, provided gifts, treats, outings and entertainments, conducted food drives, drove residents to medical appointments, taught computer use and other skills, read the morning newspapers to the residents--you name it, they were there every single day of the year, working their tails off to improve the quality of life for our veterans. I had never before met such a kind and hard-working group of people.

I'm not surprised that you would volunteer to help ease the return of your fellow soldiers to everyday life. Caring for one another seems to be just one more proud tradition carried on by our service members and their families.

God bless you all.

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?