Thursday, February 16, 2006

Can I Have a Volunteer from the Audience, Please.


Why yes, the helmet is a bit heavy, isn't it? Don't worry, this won't last long...

I was invited by the daughter of a Soldier's Angel to help with her school project. She was doing a comparison of World War I soldiers and those of today. While I talked, I had a young volunteer from the class put on as much of my gear as he could fit. He was a good sport about it.

The whole class was rather good natured about me coming in, actually. The teachers were nice to me, and the young lady's Mom was very kind as well. All in all, I'd have to say it was a very rewarding way to spend my mid-day.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

I bet they were starstruck, is what.

7:50 PM  
Blogger RTO Trainer said...

No protesting mothers trying to keep you from recruiting their children?

8:52 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Heh - not star struck, and the school was actaully quite receptive to having me there. Hard to fathom, huh? Guess we still have a few of those in the Midwest.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major John,

It was an honor and a privilage to have you at the school.

That kid loved every second of it!! Did you notice when the bell rang no-one moved.The kids were asking my daughter questions all afternoon.

Even though it was short, You really helped to get across some excellent points on Soldiers lives and what you-all do. Besides the weapons part. The Teachers loved it!! They video taped it, you know?

This was excellent!! Thank You so much for doing this!!!

BTW~ I think some of the girls tried to take there 1000 {that was the amount I believe} Afghani dollars to the mall! LOL!!! That was kind of you to think of bringing those.

Thank You!!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Muslihoon said...

Wow! Great job, Major! It's encounters like these that will help them to appreciate the US military. :-) Wish I could have been there!

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cool Major John. Wanna come to Gabby's school next?

;)

5:48 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Shell,

Can I make there in 20 minutes or less?

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Phoenix Sky Harbor on a good day.

;)

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but I am willing to bet there are several Major John-like people in the near vicinity of your school... right, Major?

1:43 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

We had one fellow transfer to AZ when he was offered a professorship at U of A....maybe he could drive in? :)

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?