Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rough couple of weeks


The last two and a half weeks have been rough. The TF has suffered 6 KIA and a few injured. The mission continues as we train and fight alongside our Afghan brothers of the Afghan Army and Police. The 33rd is in the fight now. All of us. Keep these Soldiers, their Families, and their Comrades in your thoughts and prayers. We will Soldier on.
Golden Cross!!


CPT Brian Bunting 29, 24 Feb

SGT Scott Stream 39, 24 Feb

SGT Daniel Thompson 24, 24 Feb

SPC Schuler Patch 25, 24 Feb

1Lt Jared Southworth 26, 08 Feb

SSG Jason Burkholder 27, 08 Feb


SGT Stream's Family Published a letter he wrote a few months ago in the Chicago Tribune.


Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 9:30am


A strange thing...

When I think about what surrounds me, the institutional corruption, the random violence, the fear and desperation. I feel the reasons why I am here more and more sharply. As we grow in our soldiers skills, surviving by finding the hidden dangers, seeing the secret motives and the shifting politics... we grow a set of skills that is unique and powerful in this situation.We also see what you cannot see in the States, you are surrounded by the love of Christ and faith in freedom and humanity, like a fish you think water is 'a puff of air' because it is always there, you do not notice it... we who are out of the water look back and see the world we love surrounded by enemies, poison and envy that wants to fall on you like a storm of ruin.We who joined with vague notions of protecting our country see how desperate the peril, how hungry the enemy and how frail the security we have is. So the more I love you all the more I feel I must keep fighting for you. The more I love and long for home the more right I feel here on the front line standing between you and the seething madness that wants to suck the life and love out of our land.Does that mean I cannot go home? I hope not, because I want this just to be the postponement of the joy of life, not the sacrifice of mine. If it costs me my life to protect our land and people then that is a small thing, I just hope that fate lets me return to the promise land and remind people just how great our land is.War is a young mans game, and I am getting an old mans head... it is a strange thing. I just hope that I am not changed so that I cannot take joy in the land inside the wire when I make it home. I want to be with you all again and let my gun sit in the rack and float on my back in a tube down a lazy river...

8 Comments:

Blogger LTC John said...

CSM, you know we are here to help however we can. Let us know.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When SGT Stream says if he must give his life, it is a small thing.

Please, please, don't any of you ever think that myself and ever so many more people think it is a small thing.

We support you, we care about you, your families and others love you -- and all MORE than you may know.

My guy came home safe, but I want all of you to come home safe, too.

May God bless you and take care of you.

Thank you for being there, thank you for protecting me.

Kath

6:11 AM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

May I quote Lincoln?

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Thank you one and all.

9:22 AM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

We have lost another of our Family. SPC Simone Robinson 20, was badly injured on 17 Jan in the carbomb attack at Camp Eggers in Kabul. She fought for 1.5 months at Brooks hospital in Texas. She passed away Monday. She was from Robbins IL and left a 2 year old little girl. Keep these incredible people in your thougts and prayers as we continue the mission. She came to after we got her into the TMC. She was signing a gospell song as the medics were trying to stabilize her, she was a lead in the chior at Eggers. My brave Soldiers, give me your hate. Let me hold it inside with what I already carry. That is my job. Focus on the job at hand.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CSM Bones,
May I give you one tiny piece of good news? CPT Bunting is from my area and his death was in our news and there have been several articles about him and his family, but I wanted you to see this part.
So there will be some happiness.


"Connor took his first step the night before Bunting left for Afghanistan last June. The boy was able to run to his father when Bunting came home for two weeks last month.

"When daddy came home from the airport, he knew him right away. He hugged him and didn't want to let go," said Nicki Bunting.

"While Nicki Bunting planned her husband's funeral this weekend, she learned another life is just beginning. "It was Bubba's and my dream to expand our family," she said. I learned we are expecting. It's a dream come true -- it really is. The best news I could be given at this time."


My prayers and best wishes to her and her family. And to you and your team.
Kath

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley has ordered that the United States and state flags be flown at half staff in memory of a Montgomery County soldier killed in Afghanistan.

O'Malley ordered the flags be lowered on Monday in memory of U.S. Army Captain Brian Bunting, who grew up in Potomac.

Twenty-nine-year-old Capt. Brian M. Bunting died Feb. 24 in Kandahar, Afghanistan, while supporting Operation Enduring Freedom."



Just thought you would like to know.

Kath

11:23 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

CSMBONES and to all the men and women who continue to fight for our freedom:

What you heroes do is so inspirational. I knew Dan, and his death came as quite a shock and blow to our community. It has been hard, but the amount of support that was shown has been incredible.

Thank you so much for all you do. Even though I don't know you, I hope you know that there are people here that pray for you.

I wish I could express more fully my gratitude. God bless you all and keep you safe.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Spockgirl said...

Tears started falling as I read this most beautifully written letter and then when I got to the very end I couldn't stop. How different we all are, yet how much the same.
Thank you for sharing that.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?