Friday, October 12, 2007

Thoughts on Mobilization

This is my third time through the process - 1997 as an Individual Ready Reservist, 2004 as a Guardsman going with my entire unit, and now as a Guardsman going with part of my unit.

I see some patterns that I would share:

The Federal end of the process works well. The State portion, not so much (there are soldiers at my unit that have to strive mightily to make up for this). Why is this? I suppose that the State is a split personality - they have State missions, readiness and such to worry about, while Uncle Sam's Green Machine just concentrates on one thing (i.e. the unit that is in charge of the area I will be training at before deploying has that one job, and everyone there full time). Part of it is fiscal (the State has to wait to tap into Federal money until after our orders get published) and part is experience (my State has sent some units to Noble Eagle, OEF and OIF - but situations have varied between them).

When Congress is slow in sending appropriations through, things get jammed up. Remember when the fiscal year starts.

I am going to spend my second time preparing for an extremely hot climate by training in the Upper Midwest...in Winter. I don't really have an answer to this one, except bum luck.

I am not really sure how my wife or my employer can put up with me right now (or did back when). Let us just hope they can for the next few days before I leave...

As they say, More to Come.

[note: anything italicized or after was part of an update]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your comments over at Hot Air, it sounds like you are going to be working with 14th IA.

At least half of that Division is going to be new formations. Put together with the shortage of leadership in the IA, that should be interesting.

I will be watching to see how it goes...

DJ Elliott

9:52 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

More likely the 10th, but as they say, more to come.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Citizen Deux said...

start of the Fiscal Year is like the day after the party. Everyone is still reeling from the spending binge in August and September and wonders what the hell happened to everyone.

Me, just waiting by the phone.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major John? I'm the moron from PW that's better than you at typos...All I can say is...damn man, I wish I had the opportunity you have....I was denied service due to my eyes. I wish you the best Sir. You know the drill....eyes open, head down and kick Ass

10:30 PM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

TF Phoenix......These are my Bases, FOBs, ETTs, Police Stations, PRTs!!! Sorry I have gotten carried away by the thoughts of Kawani Kebab juice on my hands again. 33rdIBCT "Golden Cross". Have a good time John.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cousin's second deployment to Iraq is to Fallujah. In the middle of the desert basically and their "survival training" this summer was in Maine! Trees, mid-80's, beer and pork BBQ were all experienced (the latter two after training was completed).....presumably to be the exact opposite of their Iraq experience.

And, remember, he's Active duty Marine, so your experience is apparently pretty universal

The US Armed Forces needs to buy some Death Valley property!

Good luck

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?