Monday, January 16, 2006

If you cannot help us, find someone you can

I am a member of the board of directors of the Community Crisis Center, Inc., a not-for-profit in Elgin, IL. We help victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, the homeless and those in economic crisis.
We had a board of directors meeting tonight - and it wasn't any fun. I heard two very discouraging things; financial support from various foundations and the like are down because Domestic Violence is not a "fad" any more, and that the victims of domestic violence that we serve are appearing at our shelter in worse shape than ever before.

I dislike asking any reader of this site for anything, but...
If you live near our area, please consider helping us. If you do not live near our service area - please find your local equivalent and consider helping them.

6 Comments:

Blogger Muslihoon said...

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for bringing it up!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Our churches both support the center for "Women in Transition" here in CU. It's good to know that funds are scarce, though. It's the sort of thing you wouldn't ever hear about unless you heard it from someone who was actually involved. Not sexy enough for the news.

6:19 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Exactly the problem, Gail, exactly.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried to donate to the Crisis Center on-line, however, it says to call. Left message for my secretary to send a check but there's no address quickly visible on the website (a P.O. Box----I understand about safehouses!) We'll get a check there but it would probably help the cause if less persistence were required! A.R. CChange

8:19 AM  
Blogger Mighty Quinn said...

I'm on the Board of a similar not-for-profit in my town. It targets low-income folks unable to afford mental health counseling (no,I'm not an alum...) Anyhooo, we get the same noise. Regretably, such is the lot of small not-for-profts the world over. Major John, if they mention the words "capital campaign" at any meeting hide your wallet and run for the hills. :-) Seriously, these local organizations need your help more than you can imagine. Personally I like to 'think globally and give locally (exclusively)'

6:17 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

MQ - they have me selling blood platlets already...we bought a new building and renovated it, hence I am familiar with that dread phrase...

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?