Friday, January 13, 2006

A Viking in the Salang Valley

Former Minnesota Viking Matt Blair and two fans in the Salang valley, early 2005.

A group of former NFL players came over to visit us early in 2005. The player who impressed me most was Matt Blair. Now, mind you, I grew up (and remain) a Chicago Bears fan. I was used to feeling very disappointed in Mr. Blair - usually because he was destroying some poor Bears quarterback...
Matt had been on several visits to see the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. When I asked him why he would do this so much, he told me it was an easy choice. He grew up with his father in the service - so it was something he just felt was the right thing to do. He also looked like he could still go out and rip a quarterback's head off...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother practiced with them as a child. The bears training camp they called it. For kids of course. Very cool for him.

We are trying to find a way to get a bear to sign some things for a Soldier overseas. As a surprise. We sent him some items already. Beads, playing cards, etc. But a signed thing would rock!!

It is excellent that these guys visit our troops!!

Take care,
Soldiers Angel~ Saoirse1964

12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The guy with the weapon is me and I am wearing a type of armor that fits underneath the uniform jacket.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?