Thursday, September 22, 2005

Wal-Mart and Relief

I have not been a big fan of Wal-Mart (unlike Sam's Club, which I am enthusiastic about) in the past. Not for any political reason, mind you - just that the stores near where I live tend to be crowded, and a bit tacky. However, they are rapidly converting me to their side because of their Katrina response. Also, as you can see from the picture below, I saw plenty of their trucks in New Orleans...more, in fact, than
any civilian relief agency. [h/t Instapundit]




RITA UPDATE:
Ahhh! Stop turning this way!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mighty Quinn said...

It's not too surprising; Bentonville, AK is Walmart's world HQ. Personally I loathe Walmart - I feel my IQ drop each time I walk through the store. That may explain a few things, actually...
Still, good deeds are good deeds and they should be (begrudgingly) commended.

8:21 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

The surprising part is notthat they helped, but that they were in place, able to do more than the Red Cross, FEMA, etc. A private business was able to get there "furstest with the mostest" as the old saying goes, to fill in for the vacant local authority, sluggish stae authorities and higher level feds. The Red Cross advertises how they are they when all else fails - bunk, The Salvation Army and Wal-Mart were...

8:28 AM  
Blogger Mighty Quinn said...

Fascinating! As one who works for a charitable foundations, it's great to see the comparison. I came from the for-profit sector before getting into charities, and the difference of motivation can be immense. Please keep us posted on which organizations do the work and which ones don't.

9:48 AM  
Blogger GunnNutt said...

Capitalism at its very best! A NYT editorialist even went so far as to suggest FEMA be outsourced to W-Mart.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?