Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Yet Another New Foe

A new Eurasian foe has appeared in our training area at Fort McCoy. Kashmiri seperatists? HIG? Taliban? Al-Qaeda? No, even more insidious and able to look innocent... behold, the Wild Parsnip!



When the Occupational Health nurse at Fort McCoy handed out these cards - my first reaction was incredulity ("They have evil plant trading cards up here?"). Then I noticed the "Avoid Me!" exhortation. Finally, I saw the 'Series 1 #11' mark.

How many dangerous plants do they have in Wisconsin?

I can see it now - "Ja, ol' Sven won't be joining us for ice fishing this year. A sessile poison ivy/strangler vine hybrid got 'em while he was deer hunting."

UPDATE: Series 1 #3...

6 Comments:

Blogger Inner Prop said...

I told you! You all laughed, but I told you we shoulda been briefed when we demobed.

When we mobed to Afghanistan we got a briefing on the "Dangerous Animals and Plants of Iraq" (yes, I said we went to Afghanistan and we got an Iraq brief, they were a bit confused).

I told you when we demobed we should have gotten a briefing on the "Dangerous Animals and Plants of North America."

I guess I was just ahead of my time.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

It makes me kind of want to know what the first 10 are...

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with the picking on Wisconsin? First it's our deer, now it's our wildflowers. Sheesh!

I tell you the most dangerous thing in Wisconsin is a flatlander driving on the Interstate. Them's is dangerous!

6:13 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Simon,

But the entire Wisconsin State Patrol exists to extract revenue from them, er...keep them in check!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that sir, is the *only* reason we keep the borders open! :-)

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got into the parsnips this spring, I have a nice 1.5 inch brown spot on my kidney area i was told to expect it to remain for another year or two. The itch and initial rash and intch was slightly worse that a stong case of poison ivy.

Still good to avoid.

Dave

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?