Thursday, June 01, 2006

News of Afghanistan IX - Early Edition


I will inblogdisposed tomorrow, so here is some news from Afghanistan, a bit early:


Kabul riots are an ugly thing...

I sure hope this Chinese cement is better quality than the Pakistani junk used at Bagram in 2005. I mean, the second the stuff dried, it started to crumble. Had to all be replaced. I think the contracting officer's comment was something to the effect of $#%@*& those *&^%$!.


Spring is graduation time.


Oh Canada! Or, oh Canadian General!


I do not use the word "hate" lightly. I hate this guy. [please go see all the work at http://www.warlordsofafghanistan.com/]


At least we know now…



One stopped, thank God.

Bombers caught.

Justice. I hope.

I’m more agog at the fact the driver was 14, not intimidated, and in Kabul. Not that it was a girl driving.

Yeah, more about refugees.

Iran and Afghan economic links strengthen. I have previously mentioned the cultural ties between Afghans and Persians. The economic links, such as this one, are a natural too.

They had a really good classic rock, pirate radio station in Konduz too.

I cannot imagine what the Afghans will think of a larger contingent.

This guy was the Elvis, Beatles and Johnny Cash of Afghanistan all rolled into one. His tomb was restored by Karzai - and it is sort of a shrine now.

Good on ‘em!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, Major John! I'm not sure where Bagram was getting its concrete in 2002, but it wasn't worth $#!* thenm either!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice you used my drawing of Hekmatyar - which is fine. I wondering if you could make the image link to the Hekmatyar page on my website?

I looked through your blog a little. It's interesting to get material from people directly involved. Most of my information comes from exiles, news and books.

Matt

4:34 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Matthew - the link is below the picture. It links to your description, and hopefully many people followed it to your site.

I thought you had some very interesting work - and if you do not mind, I would like to set upa post where I link to your site so people can look at all the rest of the you offer.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. You can link to my site all you want, of course. I think I may add a Blogs section to my links and sources page. There's no replacement for first hand accounts. If have any knowledge that might help me make my information more accurate I would be grateful for that too. Good luck in your work.

Matt

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ill be in afganistan in september , embedding with the us military . will you be there then?
-chad
www.chadhuntphotography.com

9:00 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

CHad, I think not - I have a possibility of going back, but later than that. Could be Iraq too...

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?