Friday, February 24, 2006

Thank You - Come Again!

The way the US has strip malls and convenience stores, Afghanistan has these little stands. We called them "7-11s" as they served the same function.
We would occasionally buy a few things - and I think the novelty of having us stop by meant more than any purchase we would make. Tho' I was quite partial to the cookies they sold for 10 afghani (about 20 US cents) a pack. I would draw smiles every time I would buy up 6 or 7 packs and tear into one right away. Naturally, I made sure I shared with the local kids too.

Note the racks of empty Pepsi bottles - Afghanistan is part of Pepsi's international sphere of influence. Kind of disappointing, as I am a Coke drinker, but what can you do 8000 miles from your own hometown 7-11...

3 Comments:

Blogger dosten said...

How do they keep the Pepsi cold? Or is it served warm, perhaps?

12:22 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Warm - oh, yes, warm.

Once at a fairly important VIPs place, they had snow brought down from one of the nearby peaks of the Hindu Kush. "Snow for your Pepsi, sir?"

1:35 PM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

MJ was so generous that he shared his cookies with me too.

In my neck of the woods we didn't have pepsi or coke. We had something else I could not identify. The big seller was some green stuff.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?