Friday, January 27, 2006

Afghan Dining


Squadron Leader Matt Radnall (RAF Regiment)

One night at dinner, my son asked me if we could pretend we were at a restaurant. "Sure Kiddo, we can". I was scurrying back and forth to the kitchen, so he thought it would be fun to pretend he was ordering from the cook - me. Then he looked up and asked, "Daddy, do they have restaurants in Afghanistan?" "Yes they do, Kiddo, but they are different than ours." How to explain everything...so I cracked out the pictures...


Finding a place to sit

And I told him how they didn't sit on chairs, didn't really have a table,


Would you like to sit in the automatic weapons or non-automatic weapons section?


Yum!

We shared everything, and also that the food was very good.

That also made me think about finding some place to "dine Afghan" in the Chicago area. I found two places:

Afghan Restaurant - 11 miles N - 2818 W Devon Ave, Chicago, 60659 - (773) 262-8000
Kabul House Afghan Fine Cuisines - 14 miles N - 3320 Dempster St, Skokie, 60076 - (847) 763-9930

Thanks, Kiddo, for reminding me of all that!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the american way like this used to be a picnic. Eating on the ground.
Is it true everyone eats from the same bowls? You have to use your right hand?

I hope the questions are okay. Never know, people might be able to go there someday.

At our church we had men serve the woman night. They dressed like waiters. *smiles*

God Bless~

8:14 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Saoirse,

Yes, it pretty much is "family style". The Afghans could take their right hand, scoop up some rice and roll it using their thumb in to a tight ball - all in a very fluid movement. When we tried, the results were predictably laughable. They accomodated us with some forks...

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very kind of them. I don't suppose you have the video clips? *smiles*

See how many skills we disregard by using silverware?

Thank You for sharing. Experiences like this, I think, shows the international relations built by our military personnel. Person to person. I am sure they still talk about your visit.

Thank You both for all You do!!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fear of god essentials hoodie
yeezy 700
yeezy gap
air jordans
kobe byrant shoes
fear of god outlet
bape outlet
air jordan
off-white
goyard bag

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?