Friday, December 16, 2005

Please Show Proper ID

When entering Bagram, AF, one must show proper ID. What you see here is an example of good humor where you would not think to find it, and a game of one-upmanship that went to conclusion. A Kuchi nomad was allowed to bring his camel on to part of the base. I cannot remember who started joking about the camel needing ID, but it quickly escalated to bringing in a digital photo to the contractors who made the badges. They were not about to stop the process, so they made the badge. The officer in charge of the section came over, didn't say a word. She just signed the authorization, took the badge and punched a small hole in the top of it, running a 2 meter long cord through it. She turned, handed the badge back to me and went back to work. Our bluff being called, we had no choice but to go and put the badge on the camel. Every time I saw that animal, until the day I left Bagram, it had that badge on. Heck, if nothing else, it amused the guards at the front gate...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the photo, too!! LOL

10:27 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Mrs. Smash - I about fell over after I saw the end result of that shot. I swear that thing was posing as soon as I lifted the camera...

10:46 AM  
Blogger sonicfrog said...

Funny!!! Check the news today? Not so funny. The Great Iraq Vote seems to have never happaened. Blogged angry today:-(

1:09 PM  
Blogger Eric Wilner said...

Excellent!
Having a genuine badge made for the camel puts you one up on me... last time I worked for a company that had photo ID badges, I had a badge for my parrot, but it was a forgery. (I also forged badges for various special occasions, e.g., to go with my Halloween costumes.)
Going through channels with such a thing... well, that takes audacity!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That camel's quite a ham... or something.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Muslihoon said...

Priceless! I so have to share this.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

LOL! I have about 10 pics of different soldiers sitting on a camel at BAF..

I'm gonna have to look and see if it's the one wearing your badge!

Too funny!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?