Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gramps, or "Why am I not in the Navy?"

Finally got my hands on some pictures of my maternal Grandfather - he was a Navy Officer in WWII:

He stood taller than I do now (this is 1942, I think) and had been a notable figure on the University of Iowa basketball team in the 1930s.

Home on leave with my Mom and one of my aunts (Winter 1943?).

With such a Navy-centric family history, how did I ever end up in the Army? Part of it may have been that I never got to meet Gramps, as he died before I was born. Have to wonder if he had lived, if I wouldn't have gone down to the sea instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spockgirl said...

I love that second photo. Those are the kinds of photos our family doesn't have.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Citizen Deux said...

You know, there are a few Green to grey transitions - although you'd have to start calling yourself Commander!

LCDR CD

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?