Monday, March 24, 2008

The Geometry Was All Wrong!

Intersecting Parallels? What non-Euclidian geometry informed the shape of this ancient structure?

What mad glyphs are these that remain inscribed in the bricks?
What Elder rites had been performed under the Moon that shone those centuries ago upon the great city along the life giving Euphrates River...

Ha. My apologies, but I happen to be a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft and the Running Dog had sent me a most well done e-mail in that idiom.


I wasn't going to blog anything about the Ziggurat at Ur (and so I told a fellow milblogger), as it has been done by other, earlier Milbloggers. And it is kind of like writing about the Eiffel Tower when you go to Paris - none too unique. But the place made quite an impression on me, perhaps with the BA and MA in History it was fated to do so.

Mighty Ur was one of the predominant cities of early civilization in Mesopotamia. For many years she held a place of power or wealth. The shifting course of the Euphrates, and the retreat of the Gulf coastline left her abandoned. Thousands of years later, here I am standing over her dust covered foundations. One mighty temple to her God of the Moon, was her one remaining, imposing edifice.

Of course, I did see signs of commerce returning to Ur...

4 Comments:

Blogger Inner Prop said...

Ironically I'm jealous.

You know, I never went on a dig because of Guard (the digs were always on Drill weekends).

Enjoy it, you've paid the entry fee in spades.

11:39 PM  
Blogger maggie katzen said...

ha ha. can you get a little metal pencil sharpener in the shape of the zigurat there? or a lighter? that would rawk.

3:21 AM  
Blogger David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 03/25/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?