Friday, May 08, 2009

Blast from the Past or "How I told the police to charge the Cookie Monster with Murder"

When I was an Assistant State's Attorney, I would periodically be assigned the 'felony authorization hotline'. All the felony ASAs got a week at a time on this assignment. You would get the call, usually at absurd hours in the early morning, from each local police department (or the Sheriff) to authorize charges on felony cases.

If it was a particularly serious case, like a murder, you would go to the scene or the police department. One early morning back in 2000, I got a call of a triple shooting with one fatality. When I got to the police department, the Sergeant I spoke to said "yeah, we need murder and attempt murder charges for the Cookie Monster." As it was 2:15AM, I thought just maybe I had misheard. But it turns out that the suspects nickname was 'the Cookie Monster'. It was quite a bad situation, and I ended up approving a whole raft of charges... but the suspect had fled to Mexico and I thought I had heard the last of it.

Not so.

I hope that this case gets a just ending.


UPDATE:

You decide if the nickname was warranted.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Fire Departments said...

This is just another reason why I like your website. I like your style of writing you tell your stories without out sending us to 5 other sites to complete the story. Please come visit my site fire station when you got time.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Home Building Materials said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Please come visit my site door hardware when you got time.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Kath said...

Cookie Monster, indeed. Punk.

Working on a small corner of your field, I have found that some of the "cute" nicknames are for the worst people. Above and beyond all the Tinys and Bigs are some nicknames that make you want to smile -- that is until you find out what they're charged with!!

Glad there's a bit of resolution on this one.

(PS, I do NOT have a website for you to come visit, so I'll just comment on yours, m'kay?) :)

4:26 AM  
Anonymous airport departures said...

I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future. Please come visit my site Parking Lot Garage Directory when you got time.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?