Saturday, November 11, 2006

Bad news from Afghanistan

I just learned an Afghan security offical I worked with while S-5 of TF Eagle was killed a while back. Gul Zaman worked a really wild area - the Koh-e Safi. I didn’t really go to the place much, as I contented myself with almost blowing up in a minefield on the border of the Koh-e Safi (in Ashrafkhel).

The report says it was Taliban, but it easily could have been smugglers, rivals, or whatnot. Zaman was quite a character, but he really did want his area to stop being a quasi-Wild West.

I am asking CSM Bones to add what he can - he actually went into the Koh-e Safi. I did manage to steer a couple of aid projects to Gul Zaman's area, but I wish I could have done more for the people of that area.

Damn...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap. Sorry to hear that Major John.

11:46 AM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

I will post some pics. I spent some incredible days on the far side of te valley. Remember the west side Kawani and the north side Asil Kahn did not much care for him and his ANA brother. It could have been anybody.

10:26 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

CSM,

Who was that little right hand man of his, the one LTC Milonas liked so much? His name has escaped me thus far.

10:41 PM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

Can't remember, but his brother was impressive. So was he in a very quite way. I always hated the fact that Kohe Safi was kind of ignored by us. They were key in the fight against the Soviets around Parwan/Kapisa.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?