Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Memories of Fish Lake


Fish Lake, originally uploaded by amiga3000.

This was the main lodge at Gaukel's Resort on Fish Lake in Wisconsin. The resort had camp sites, rental cabins, and privately-owned cabins. My grandparents owned a cabin on Fish Lake and I spent countless Summers there. Grandpa and Grandma had a boat dock, rowboat, fishing poles, and fire pit.

While I began going to Fish Lake as just a little guy, I remember most the period between 1974-1982. Grandma could give you a dollar which you could exchange at the Lodge for an A&W root beer, an ice cream sandwich, a Cracker Jack, and a game of Asteriods, SubHunt, or Space Invaders. Mornings were spent eating Swedish pancakes, days swimming, afternoons napping, evenings eating the days catch of Crappie or Sunfish, and nights playing Cribbage on the porch. Neighbors in surrounding cabins always had a smile, a fishing story, or a bowl of fresh-picked strawberries to share.

I took this photograph in Summer 2000.

4 Comments:

Blogger LTC John said...

Noooo! Say it ain't so! That was one of the best summer visits I had as a kid...Sad to see the place is gone.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in one of the small towns around Fish Lake. I was back in the area last weekend and it has been severely affected by the flooding in the area. Cabins/houses are under water.

I was surprised to see that Gaukel's was no longer there. Does anyone else have pictures to post of the resort in it's "prime"? Would love to see them. I remember it most from the 1960's but unfortunately do not have any pictures.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Fun at Fish Lake said...

My family camped there in the 1960's and 1970's. We have a lot of pictures. We loved the place. So many great memories. Fishing off the pier, renting rowboats to fish, swimming at the beach, getting candy at the lodge, hearing those pinball games through the screen windows at the lodge, the bathroon doors slamming all the time, the cool breeze in the shade above the beach, the big swing set, walking on the big rocks, getting firewood from behind the lodge,...it goes on and on. It was a great place to spend a week or two in the summer months.

9:48 AM  
Blogger CowBell said...

My grandparents own a house across the lake from Gaukels. My brothers and I would sail to Gaukels and swim and play video games inside the small restaraunt. Best summers ever. I

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?