Monday, November 08, 2010

The Future is so bright, I have to wear (ballistic) shades

Camp Lincoln was quite crowded this weekend. When I showed up for my National Guard training assembly, there was no place to stay or park... Why?

We had all of Soldiers that our next class of Officer Candidates will be drawn from on the base. Well over a 100 were coming to find out about going through the State Officer Candidate School (OCS) and becoming commissioned officers.

So why does this make the future bright?

These were all enlisted Soldiers (and junior NCOs) that had already joined in time of war. Think about that self-selected group - they volunteered to join a group of people who were constantly being sent to combat (from our little blog alone, I was in OEF 2004-2005 and OIF 2007-2008, CSM Bones was in OEF 2004-2005 and 2008-2009 and the Inner Prop was in OEF 2004-2005). Now, they want more responsibility and a longer committment, while we are still at war. Some of them had already been to war themselves, as enlisted or junior NCOs.

Those are the people you want leading your Soldiers, ladies and gentlemen. Our officer ranks look like they will be filled by some pretty impressive folks, for the foreseeable future. I'm going to go find my ballistic shades...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those 103 were from my Brigade alone. We have made OCS and direct comissioning an NCO responsibility, therefore mine and my NCOs. Who better to recognize and mentor these Soldiers into our future Officers.The Brigade has a never ending need for new Officers. Most of these individuals have already lead Soldiers in Combat. Young Sergeants and Staff Sergeants plan and lead missions everyday.

11:08 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

And that makes the future so bright for us! Thanks for helping these Soldiers.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

I'm a '89 grad myself. Gads! I wonder how many of the bright future were only gleams yet?

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Wedding Photographer said...

I enjoy this post. Thank you for sharing. wedding photography cincinnati

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?