Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Veteran's Day 2009

Veteran's Day. Growing up it usually meant a day off from school. And as I got older, I started to learn what it meant to the Veteran most involved in my life...


Dad, home on leave, from the Navy in 1945.

Later I learned what it meant to an uncle...

USAAF 1943 photo - yeah, that award is what you think it is...

Then I made friends with someone who had a double appreciation of the day...
The Inner Prop, getting his due, with BG(ret) Dad along side...
Then I became a brother in arms to one who has an awful lot to remember this day...
CSM Bones being decorated by the French contingent in Afghanistan, 2009.
I rather think I am in good company, yes?
Me, at a FARP in NE Iraq, Fall 2008.

There are so many other veterans I have learned from - my old Explorer Post leader, my boss at my very first part time job while in High School, teachers, co-workers. I like to think I have managed to take a little from all of their experiences and now, our common bond. I would hope all of you could do the same with veterans you know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Inner Prop said...

Happy Veterans' Day sir.

6:35 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Prop - I don't know if I passed along greetings to you from CSM Beck, so.... "BASE COMMANDER!!!!"

Consider yourself greeted.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Darleen said...

Thank you for your service, sir. And prayers of thanks to all those who have gone before and all those who follow.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Bob Reed said...

Good company indeed Colonel. Taking good lessons from good men will always "do a body good"...

All the best

8:25 PM  
Blogger Gib said...

Thanks for serving, and thanks for sharing it with us. It has been pretty damn cool to get first hand reports from the ME and NO to offset all the spin and chaff.

You and your fellow mil-bloggers are very much appreciated.

B Moe

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?