Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Anno Horribilus? No, not that bad



I guess this would be the theme for the year at Miserable Donuts. I was "Blue Star" until November, and CSM Bones has been ever since then. I was in Iraq for some very decisive moments. CSM Bones is in Afghanistan for, what I believe, will be some as well.


"Without Which, It Cannot Be Done" - pardon my miserable Latin. That was my Brigade's motto and I think it fit for all those who made sure I was supported abroad, and my family at home. My parents and in-laws who helped with the kids, my friends and neighbors who helped with everything around the neighborhood and kids school, my co-workers who sent unbelievable amounts of good and useful things for me and my brothers in arms from Scotland and Iraq.


I had internet/blogging friends send support - Scott P, of Desert Island Foods and happyfeet, of Protein Wisdom fame came through with timely support as well.


My wife and kids, most of all, were the reason I could take care of business without despair or distraction. I love them all more deeply.


Those that fell, I won't forget that you made it possible for me to be back with my family, friends and co-workers.
May this new year see fewer of them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started this year, I was making crap salary doing Sysiphean tasks for a psycho boss that hated me. Months after I quit, the psycho boss in question closed up his office and took some government job in another city.

I've since entered a field of work that pays >2x as much money for half as much work. I'm also attending a great place of worship, and engaged in alot of fulfilling self-study that I never had time for.

2008 has been the best year of my life.

9:32 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Good - it started pretty off for me too - got better at the end too!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2008 started well, then my wife lost her job in March...I'm a cabinetmaker, I lost my union job in May...went to 2 non-union shops got laid off from the first on in August, and the last on in October...lost the house in Dec 4, (OK DC where's MY bailout), and the wife went to stay with her daughter in MI...now I'm homeless...sleeping in the back of my truck (it does get cold in MD this time of year)...using the wife's laptop when I can find a wifi hotspot...2009 doesn't look like its going to be a banner year.

All that being said. I would like to thank all of you who have recently served, or a presently served, Thank you.

Rich V, balt. MD USA

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blue star reminds me of when the first Gulf War began. The little bro was enlisted, and in Germany (Lance missiles were not going anywhere). I bought a service star at a flag shop and put it in my parents' front window. Dad said it was okay, and it seemed the right thing to do.

Now the little bro is a major, and my eldest nephew is now enlisted marines (he was 2 1/2 way back in GWI). I should find that old service star and give it to the eldest bro to put in his window.

-Mikey NTH

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?