Monday, March 05, 2007

My Near, Almost-Accident Experience

The Inner Prop and I had our National Guard weekend finish up yesterday afternoon. I was driving home from our armory when a truck in front of me (mind you, I am on I-90) decides a metal extension ladder and some tools are a bit much of a burden to continue carrying... I managed to slew to a halt just before plowing into everything. I had immediately gained a new respect for stunt drivers as well.

Anyway, there I am stopped in the middle of an Interstate Highway, and traffic starting to pile up behind me. I got out and ran over to fling the ladder and such off to the side of the road, when a woman gets out of the car stopped behind me and asks, in broken English, if I could put all of it in her car - as that was her husbands truck and they are moving. I looked into her car and, indeed, it was full of clothing, boxes and the like. Well, the ladder didn't quite fit, and the tools got wedged in wherever they could fit. She was yelling at her husband on a cell phone, at least I took it that way - I don't speak Spanish. I went back to my car and stopped blocking the major highway. As the adrenaline blasted through my system, I did notice the truck pulled over on the shoulder a ways down the road. I was too distracted to do anything like flip the driver off, honk or curse. Or maybe I was just being polite. I can't remember...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Major John ,

How are you today ?

I wish you a great day !!!


Love you....

7:50 AM  
Blogger tempus42 said...

Good work, although I have to say I personally would have thought once, twice, three times (a lady) before loading stuff that fell of a truck into a "random" passerby's car who just claimed that it really was her stuff. (And I say that, suspected citizenship issues or not.... ;)

10:30 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Tempus - it fit my experience, living where I do, that the story checked out. If you take my meaning...

BTW - when are you going to reregister on this site?!

10:49 AM  
Blogger tempus42 said...

I didn't know I needed to re-register. What exactly do I need to do?

6:00 PM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

I was looking for you all at MTC. I was out there with my Battalion. I forgot you are also wearing the STARC no field shield again. Kebabs soon. Good tea and bread this.

8:43 PM  
Blogger LK said...

I checked to see if there was an email I could send this too but I changed my blog's (Alpha Mike Foxtrot)address.
www.alphamikefox.blogspot.com

10:59 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Ah - I will change the blogroll accordingly.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?