Saturday, March 17, 2007

Arlington National Cemetery

I missed the News yesterday - I was returning from Washington, D.C. My work had an "offsite" meeting for three days in Alexandria, VA. I had one small bloc of time to myself, and I was only a little ways down the highway from Arlington National Cemetary. I had not been there before, so the choice was easily made for my bit of free time...

The first individual grave that I noticed out was SGT Eggers:

EGGERS, ALAN LOUIS
Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Machine Gun Company, 107th Infantry, 27th Division. Place and date: Near Le Catelet, France, 29 September 1918. Entered service at: Summit, N.J. Birth: Saranac Lake, N.Y. G.O. No.: 20, W.D., 1919. Citation: Becoming separated from their platoon by a smoke barrage, Sgt. Eggers, Sgt. John C. Latham and Cpl. Thomas E. O'Shea took cover in a shell hole well within the enemy's lines. Upon hearing a call for help from an American tank, which had become disabled 30 yards from them, the 3 soldiers left their shelter and started toward the tank, under heavy fire from German machineguns and trench mortars. In crossing the fire-swept area Cpl. O'Shea was mortally wounded, but his companions, undeterred, proceeded to the tank, rescued a wounded officer, and assisted 2 wounded soldiers to cover in a sap of a nearby trench. Sgt. Eggers and Sgt. Latham then returned to the tank in the face of the violent fire, dismounted a Hotchkiss gun, and took it back to where the wounded men were, keeping off the enemy all day by effective use of the gun and later bringing it, with the wounded men, back to our lines under cover of darkness.

Incredible.

There were some famous heroes too:

And recent heroes too:

Others I wondered about:

Who was PFC Brown?


Who were 1LT Marsh and LTC Berry?

And I saw more than one person like SFC Joel...service in three wars, and a Medal of Honor.

One huge disappointment - when I asked at the lady at the information desk where I could go to find the burials from Afghanistan, I was told that information was not being given out publically, since there were some people going there and "misbehaving". [she did ask if she could direct me to someone I knew or such] I was shocked - people would come to Arlington and protest on the graves. If there is one place that protesters should leave alone, it is someone's final resting place.

UPDATE: Typo duly noted, Gail.

20 Comments:

Blogger Yiddish Steel said...

If it is indeed true, that the moonbats are actually protesting or desecrating the gravesites of our fallen soldiers, there needs to be some very swift punishment rendered on these scum-bags!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it that left wing clowns can seemingly do just about anything with impunity?

Leave our brave fallen alone--go somewhere else and vent your ignorance!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Well, she didn't say what she meant by "misbehaving", did she? Maybe someone stacked up a bunch of hippies like cordwood and burned them.

Always look on the bright side of life.....

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Joel

for a short description of this unassuming and heroic man who was awarded the Silver Star and Medal of Honor for treating wounded soldiers while under withering fire in Vietnam on 8 Nov 1965.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next to SFC Joel is Willard Miller, who, along with his brother Harry received the Medal of Honor for actions in the Battle of Cienfuegos Cuba in 11 May 1898.

Lest we forget, our American soil still produces brave men.

ProudMarineDad

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ yiddish steel

i think the term "punishment" is a little light. i think there ought to be a wall they line them up on...at quantico

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Anonymous "Yeah your brave men",

My name is on my post, and my email is accessible therefrom. You are anonymous and functionally illiterate. Please soil your own carpet, not Major John's.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the next time you're there, you can visit my dad's grave. Col. Robert H. Caughman, USA.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops, that was me.

11:11 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

To the 7th commenter - the one I deleted. Get off my lawn!

5:20 PM  
Blogger LK said...

Your pictures made me think about the Maple Leaf Legacy project. This is a project to photograph or obtain a photograph of every Canadian War Grave of the 20th Century.

8:15 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Overseas too?! That'll take some doing!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:37 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

Hmmm... can you determine (and block) by IP address?

Perhaps you can even post the IP address of Mr. Anonymous....

11:46 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Blogger won't do that - it's the same spammer/troll that has hit several blogs, milblogs and the like. It's from a German origin...

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:23 PM  
Blogger BostonMaggie said...

This isn't fair, I can't see what Patrick is heated about!
His comment makes me think of Mike Moran, of the NYFD......"This is my face, B&^$%ch!"
Here's Patrick "My name is on my post, and my email is accessible therefrom"
Get 'em, Patrick!

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?