Friday, January 12, 2007

News of Afghanistan ۴۱

I may not be able to do this the next couple of weeks - as I will be at WFX 07-03 at lovely Fort Leavenworth. So on with what we do have!


Taliban and human shields.

Audits?! Of Government spending?!

Speaking of Canada...

Ah, it is good to see some complaints are universal.

I experienced the Afghan passion for sports, so this is unfortunate.

An outbreak in one of my old areas of operation. Argh.

"OK you two, knock it off and get along!"

[Richard Boucher, the U.S. assistant secretary of state for South and Central Asia, speaks during a press conference in Kabul, Jan. 11, 2007. Pakistan's commitment to fighting terrorism is genuine and the country remains an important ally of the United State , Boucher said Thursday. The praise for Pakistan from Boucher comes at a time of heightened acrimony between Pakistan and Afghanistan over border incursions and alleged help that militants get from Pakistan. (AP Photo/Musadeq Sadeq)]

Bollywood normally gets a warm reception in Afghanistan - not this time. [see this too, however].

Uh, I always tried more tangible things when I was S-5 of TF Eagle ... But, if it helps, good for her.

A heroic and determined woman.

[e-Ariana.com]

Iran take advantage of tensions? Really?!

How to fund the Taliban? Pass the plate amongst the fanatical.

As if I didn't have enough reasons to hate Gulbuddin already!

© IRIN
Pakistan plans to lay the mines along its western border with Afghanistan

UN: "We'd rather you don't."

Uh-oh.

Transit and trade...please.

Pashtun tribesmen gather to protest against fencing plans on parts of the Pak-Afghan border at Chaman border (see here)

As I continue to nag all of you - Iran figures big into what happens in Afghanistan - for good or ill.

Fighting, down south.

Unleash the Poles and Croats!

And how about the Afghans?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

4000 Afghanis killed during 2006, plus 170 foreign troops. Not good, but better than what's been happening in Iraq.

About $35 a month would provide a decent living for one of those refugee families. Wouldn't you love to adopt one? I would!

Good stuff this week.

11:31 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Best help I saw for Afghan refugees was through the Halo Trust (UK or US). They helped people resettle - they had a camp, and they would clear land of mines, unexploded ordnance, etc.

Talib and HiG really took it in the shorts this year. I wish they would just come to terms and reintegrate peacefully.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make a good point. It's useless to resettle people only to have them blown up by landmines.

I'll donate, and I've sent all kinds of supplies for our troops to distribute through Any Soldier, but I'm hoping to find a way to sponsor a family.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?