Saturday, November 11, 2006

Yea Me Day!

That is how I jokingly refer to Veteran's Day. It's the one day a year I pat myself on the back about serving.

Of course, it was Armistice Day, first of all. It meant something different back in the day.


"Welcome Home,"Barbelle, Albert W., illustrator, Ed. G. Nelson, music, Bud Green, words, 1918.
.
Now days I find myself at my kids school on Veteran's Day (or the last school day before Veteran's Day if it is a Saturday like this year) for an observance program.

"Thanks kids!"

I was much more reflective last year at this time. I guess this year I am a little more relaxed - it helps a bit that I am not just back from Operation Crescent Relief or Afghanistan. Maybe that extra hour of sleep and third cup of coffee have helped too.

Of course, I fully intend to remember those who should be remembered (and thanked!) today. Uncle Jack , my Dad, and one of old mentors, SFC Chuck Reed.

Later I will pat myself on the back...by treating myself to some Amarillo Cheese Fries! Thank me very much.

UPDATE: Why cheese fries? Last year I sat in a Lone Star and enjoyed an order of them while mulling things over (see link above about reflection). They sure were good. I guess this is how goofy traditions get started.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No tradition is Goofy!

*patting you on the back*

THANK YOU Major John, for protecting us.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What General Patton used to say
.
.
.

t'anks!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Major John, for your service and especially your work to keep us well informed about the war even when you're NOT there!

(I finally got through the link to the Army Boots "On the Ground" video. Awesome. Thanks again.)

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

6:49 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Indeed. The "got shot and all I got was this lousy pin" CAB.

And all that other junk from Bosnia, '93 Mississippi Floods, Katrina and Rita, Afghanistan...

3:08 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Uh, "got shot AT and all I got was this lousy pin". Oops.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?