Monday, September 11, 2006

Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is...Caught.

BAD NEWS UPDATE: It doesn't look like it was HIM after all. ARGH! Someday, Hekmatyar, someday....

I am retaining the original post below as a warning to all others in celebrating too soon. NUTS!

[Original Post]

Ha! Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, the renegade who had it made, retrieved for a bounty..

This is a great day for Afghanistan, and a very happy one personally. the HIG (Hezb-i-Islami Gulbuddin, or Party of Islam, Gulbuddin faction) was the only bad guy outfit working the part of the country I was stationed. They shot rockets at us, they threated local leaders who worked with us or the Afghan central government...they were rat bastards to a man.

Hekmatyar was an interesting and very bad person.


"Who? Me, bad?!"

More here.

If the HIG folds up, this will be a significant relief to the Afghan government. They will really be able to concentrate all their efforts in the South and the Southeast.

Also, since the HIG were/are bastards, it is just a good thing to have their leader in irons.

I'm off to hoist a drink or three.

UPDATE:

Not ANYMORE!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major John =

I have come to know you at Protein Wisdom. I haven't had a hero since Lonnire Mack did "Memphis" (1962?).

I don't know if you are a hero to me, but you are pretty fuckin' close. I'm a cynical 58 year old musician. but I thank God for people like you.

God bless you and your compatriots. I wish I were 28 instead of 58.

Good luck to you. There are more people who appreciate men like you than you could know.

12:08 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Lost - cripes, put CSM Bones in my place if you want heroic.

Oddly enough, tho' being 40 and having plenty of reasons for being cynical (cripes, I was in SFOR 3, Bosnia, 1997, heh heh) I find myself seeing people in the worst of situations (Afghanistan) being thankful for our help, caring for their families, wanting peace and prosperity for everyone - real Live and Let Live stuff. If they could be thus, how could I be pessimistic and too hard bitten?

Thanks for the kind words, nonetheless!

12:18 AM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

Stop the heroic stuff.....if this is true, 9-11 just became a little better. Alot of blood letting in the last few weeks. The Talib recruits are not faring very well in the feild. Honk if you are HIG!!! Did anyone watch the ABC 911 mini-series the Clinton Administration's lawyers tried to block? Masood was the man according to that program.

9:22 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

CSM, If the shoe fits...

I am going to update with my infamous "Honk if you're HIG" photo!

10:03 AM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

No mention in the big media. Anderson Cooper of CNN is at some forward FOB this week telling us all is lost. Silence about this operation. He did happen to get some young men saying the situation in Jalalabad was much better and secure under the Taliban. No clue...No Shame.

11:47 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

Anderson Cooper is on RIGHT NOW! I can't get past how badly his pants fit (for SHAME, Gloria) to hear a word he is saying.

That's why I'm here... now... to get the real 360.

or somethin'.

Thank you Gentlemen.

Nite guys.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?