Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Who I will Remember Tomorrow


These two men worked for KBR - the main contractor providing services at Bagram Airfield.

I had spent the first half of Thanksgiving 2004 going from place to place to place. A spread of rockets fired at our base had landed in three different villages, killing one man and banging up a couple of farms. I was out talking with the people out there and telling them what we were doing.



Once I got back to the base, I saw that the KBR employees had worked especially hard to see that we had a Thanksgiving that was as close to home as possible. The mess halls were decorated and the food was the very best I had for the entire year I was there. It occurred to me later on that these other people were far from home too. I wish I would have done something to let them know what their efforts had meant to so many of us. Remember the servicemen and women that are far from home this time of year - and also spare a kind thought for those that support them.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well said.

Those guys have big hearts.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Carin said...

I hope my bil (in Baghdad) gets a good meal tomorrow :) I certainly will be thinking of those who are eating Turkey on foreign soil.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I left, I bought all the KBR guys on our base a latte at the Green Bean. Not that big of a base ~80 KBRs. As the local POC I had given many of them a hard time. However, they did a nice Thanksgiving meal and several of the cooks would save special "stuff" for the muy caliente breakfast crew. Habenero omeletes are good for what ails a body.

My advice would be to send the troops wild varieties of hot sauce - that was what I wanted anyway (at least after we switched away from that chinese recycled paper buttwipe).

MAJ Wildcat

9:22 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

MAJ Wildcat - ah yes, the enduring Eastern Mystery...how they stand using that industrial grade bumwad. At one point I was going to suggest we start giving out Western TP instead of clothing, food, etc...thought we'd make a heck of an impression on 'em.

10:03 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Rebeccah - that is awfully kind of you. I can tell you that what you are doing has a real impact on how those soldiers feel about life at BAF. I know that people like you made it a lot more bearable for me.

10:06 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

Gabby and I sent Christmas boxes to our "soldiers" a couple of weeks ago... just little fake trees and trimmings... candy canes, so on. The most important thing in the world to me is that they feel loved and thought of... and the second most important thing in the world to me is that my daughter understand compassion, and RESPECT for the men and women who protect her. If these are the only two virtues she learns from me: compassion and respect, I will die a happy, proud mommy.

Love.

Out.

12:22 AM  
Blogger sparrow said...

...and maybe next time we'll send toilet paper!

;)

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fear of god essentials hoodie
yeezy 700
yeezy gap
air jordans
kobe byrant shoes
fear of god outlet
bape outlet
air jordan
off-white
goyard bag

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?